- Lower respiratory tract infection: Acute community acquired pneumonia, Acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis;
- Upper respiratory tract infection: Acute otitis media, Acute maxillary sinusitis, Pharyngitis, Tonsillitis
- Sexually transmitted diseases: Acute uncomplicated urethral & cervical gonorrhoea.
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infection: Cystitis, Pyuria
- Skin & soft tissue infections: Furuncle, Cellulitis, Subcutaneous abscess, Infectious atheoma, Periproctal abscess.
Cefpodoxime capsules and oral suspension are indicated for the treatment of patients with mild to moderate infections caused by susceptible strains of the designated microorganisms in the conditions listed below.
Adults (Including age 13 years & older):
- Acute community-acquired pneumonia: 200 mg 12 hourly for 14 days
- Acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis: 200 mg 12 hourly for 10 days
- Uncomplicated gonorrhea (men/women): Single dose 200 mg
- Rectal gonococcal infection in women: Single dose 200 mg
- Skin & Soft tissue infection: 200 mg 12 hourly
- Pharyngitis and/or tonsillitis: 100 mg 12 hourly for 5 to 10 days
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infection: 100 mg 12 hourly for 7 days
- Acute maxillary sinusitis: 200 mg 12 hourly for 10 days
- 15 days to 6 months: 4 mg/kg every 12 hours
- 6 months to 2 years: 40 mg every 12 hours
- 3 to 8 years: 80 mg every 12 hours
- Over 9 years: 100 mg every 12 hours
may be given without regard to food.
Renal Impairment: Patients with renal dysfunction: For patients with severe renal impairment (creatinine clearance <30 ml/min) the dosing intervals should be increased to 24 hourly.
Hepatic Impairment: The dosage does not require modification in cases of hepatic impairment.