Cephradine is used in the treatment of infections caused by sensitive organisms.
- Upper respiratory tract infections: Pharyngitis, sinusitis, otitis media, tonsilitis, laryngotracheo-bronchitis.
- Lower respiratory tract infections: Acute and chronic bronchitis, lobar and bronchopneumonia.
- Urinary tract infections: Cystitis, urethritis, pyelonephritis.
- Skin and soft tissue infections: Abscess, cellulitis, furunculosis, impetigo.
- Gastrointestinal tract infections: Bacillary dysentery, enteritis, peritonitis. Bone and joint infection.
- Surgical prophylaxis: It is also used in perioperative prophylactic administration (pre-operatively, intra-operatively and post-operatively). In cesarean section, intra-operative (after clamping the umbilical cord) and post-operative use may reduce the incidence of certain post-operative infections.
Dosage & Administration
Oral: The usual dose is 1-2 gm daily in 2 to 4 divided doses. In severe and prolonged infection, the dose can be increased up to 4 gm daily which should be taken in equally divided doses.
Injection: The usual dose is 2-4 gm daily which should be given intramuscularly or intravenously in 3-4 divided doses.
Special dose in the following infections:
- Skin and skin structures and respiratory tract infection: Usual dose is 250 mg every 6 hours or 500 mg every 12 hours.
- Lobar pneumonia: 500 mg every 6 hours or 1 gm every 12 hours.
- Urinary tract infection: Usual dose is 500 mg every 12 hours.
- Gastro-intestinal tract infection: 500 mg three to four times daily.
Oral: The usual total dose is 25 to 50 mg/kg/day given in 2 to 4 equally divided doses.
Injection: 50 to 100 mg/kg/day in 4 equally divided doses. The usual total dose may be increased up to 200-300 mg/kg/day.
Perioperative prophylaxis: Recommended dose is 1-2 gm by intramuscular or intravenous route; subsequent parenteral or oral doses are given as appropriate. Therapy should be continued for a minimum of 48-72 hrs. after the patient becomes asymptomatic or evidence of bacterial eradication has been obtained.