Ticamet TM HFA inhaler: Each single actuation provides: 25 micrograms of salmeterol (as
salmeterol xinafoate) and 50 or 125 or 250 micrograms of fluticasone propionate (delivered from the valve).
Indication: Ticamet TM HFA inhaler is indicated in the regular treatment of asthma where use of a
combination product (long-acting β2 agonist and inhaled corticosteroid) is appropriate:
- patients not adequately controlled with inhaled corticosteroids and ‘as needed’ inhaled short acting β2
- patients already adequately controlled on both inhaled corticosteroid and long-acting β2 agonist.
Dosage & Administration: Adults and adolescents 12 years and older:
- Two inhalations of 25 micrograms salmeterol and 50 micrograms fluticasone propionate twice daily, or
- Two inhalations of 25 micrograms salmeterol and 125 micrograms fluticasone propionate twice daily, or
- Two inhalations of 25 micrograms salmeterol and 250 micrograms fluticasone propionate twice daily.
Children 4 years and older:
- Two inhalations of 25 micrograms salmeterol and 50 micrograms fluticasone propionate twice daily.
Special Group: There is no need to adjust the dose in elderly patients or in those with renal impairment or
Ticamet TM HFA inhaler should not be used to treat acute asthma symptoms for which a fast and
short acting bronchodilator is required. Treatment with Ticamet TM should not be stopped abruptly. As with
all inhaled medication containing corticosteroids, Ticamet TM should be administered with caution in
patients with pulmonary tuberculosis. Rarely, Ticamet TM may cause cardiac arrhythmias e.g.
supraventricular tachycardia, extrasystoles and atrial fibrillation, and a mild transient reduction in serum
potassium at high therapeutic doses.
Children and adolescents <16years taking high doses of fluticasone propionate (typically 1000
microgram/day) may be at particular risk of systemic effects.
Pregnancy & Lactation:
Administration of Ticamet TM to pregnant women should only be considered if
the expected benefit to the mother is greater than any possible risk to the foetus.
It contains salmeterol and fluticasone propionate, the type and severity of adverse reactions
associated with each of the compounds may be expected. There is no incidence of additional adverse
events following concurrent administration of the two compounds.