Cefixime is indicated in the following infectious diseases-
- Respiratory Tract Infections: Pneumonia, Sinusitis, Pharyngitis and Tonsillitis, Acute Bronchitis and Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Bronchitis (AECB)
- Otitis Media
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Uncomplicated gonorrhea (cervical/urethral).
Dosage & Administration
The usual course of treatment is 7 days. This may be continued for up to 14 days if required. The daily dose can be given in 1–2 divided doses.
- Adult and child over 10 years: 200–400 mg daily
- Child over 6 months: 8 mg/kg daily
- 6 months to 1 year: 75 mg (3.75 ml) daily,
- 1 to 4 years: 100 mg (5 ml) daily
- 5 to 10 years: 200 mg (10 ml) daily
Typhoid and paratyphoid :
- Adult: 200 mg 12 hourly
- Child: 10 mg/kg 12 hourly
- Adult: 400-800 mg as a single dose
Pregnancy & Lactation
Pregnancy category B. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. So this drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.
Use in Lactation: It is not known whether cefixime is excreted in human milk. So it is probably best either to avoid using the drug by the nursing mother or to discontinue breast feeding