Levetiracetam is indicated as an adjunctive therapy for:
- Partial Onset Seizures
- Myoclonic Seizures In Patients with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy
- Primary Generalized Tonic-Clonic Seizures
Levetiracetam injection is an alternative for adult patients (16 years and older) when oral administration is temporarily not feasible.
For tablet and oral solution-
Treatment should be initiated with a daily dose of 1000 mg/day, given as twice-daily dosing (500 mg twice daily). Additional dosing increments may be given (1000 mg/day additional every 2 weeks) to a maximum recommended daily dose of 3000 mg.
Levetiracetam injection is for intravenous use only and must be diluted prior to administration. Levetiracetam injection (500 mg/5 mL) should be diluted in 100 mL of compatible diluents and administered intravenously as a 15-minute IV infusion. Product with particulate matter or discoloration should not be used.
Dosing Instructions: Preparation and Administration-
- Dose 500 mg: Withdraw Volume 5 ml, Volume of Diluent 100 ml, Infusion Time 15 minutes
- Dose 1000 mg: Withdraw Volume 10 ml, Volume of Diluent 100 ml, Infusion Time 15 minutes
- Dose 1500 mg: Withdraw Volume 15 ml, Volume of Diluent 100 ml, Infusion Time 15 minutes
For example, to prepare a 1000 mg dose, dilute 10 ml of Levetiracetam injection in 100 ml of a compatible diluents and administer intravenously as a 15-minute infusion.