It is mainly used for the symptomatic treatment of nausea and vertigo due to Meniere’s disease and other labyrinthine disturbances and for the prevention and treatment of motion sickness. It is also used in the management of various vascular disorders.
Cerebral circulatory disorders:
- Prophylaxis and maintenance therapy for symptoms of cerebral vascular spasms and arteriosclerosis such as dizziness, ear buzzing (tinnitus), vascular headache, unsociability and irritability, fatigue, sleep rhythm disorders such as premature awakening, involutional depressions, loss of memory and lack of concentration, incontinence and other disorders due to aging.
- Sequel of cerebral and cranial trauma.
- Post-apoplectic disorders.
Peripheral circulatory disorders: Prophylaxis and maintenance therapy for symptoms of vascular spasms and arteriosclerosis (obliterating arteritis, thromboangitis obliterans, Raynaud’s disease, diabetes, acrocyanosis, perrio, etc.) such as: intermittent claudication, trophic disturbances, pregangrene, trophic and varicose ulcers, paraesthesia, nocturnal cramps, cold extremities.
Disorders of balance:
- Prophylaxis and maintenance therapy for symptoms of labyrinthine arteriosclerosis, vestibular irritability, Meniere’s syndrome, such as vertigo, dizziness, giddiness, syncopal attacks, tinnitus, nystagmus, nausea and vomiting.
- Prophylaxis of motion sickness.
Cinnarizine acts as an antihistamine, labyrinthine sedative and a peripheral antivasoconstrictor. Inarzin is a selective calcium antagonist, inhibiting the influx of Ca2+ intracellularly. It prevents the Ca2+ dependent contraction of arterial smooth muscle by inhibiting Ca2+ influx through smooth muscle calcium channels and thereby, improves vestibular symptoms and prevents peripheral arterial disease
Dosage & Administration
Peripheral vascular disease:
- Adult: 75 mg bid or tid.
- Adult: 75 mg once daily.
- Adult: 30 mg 2 hr before travel then 15 mg 8 hrly during the journey if necessary.
- Child: 5-12 yr 15 mg 2 hr before travel then 7.5 mg 8 hrly during the journey as necessary.
Vertigo and vestibular disorders:
- Adult: 30 mg tid or 75 mg 1-2 times daily.
- Child: 5-12 yr 15 mg tid.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Pregnancy Category C. The safety of Cinnarizine in human pregnancy has not been established. Therefore, it is not advisable to administer Cinnarizine in pregnancy.
Lactation: It is not known if Cinnarizine is excreted in human breast milk. Use of Cinnarizine during breast feeding is not advised.