Cefuroxime is a semi-synthetic, broad-spectrum 2nd generation cephalosporin antibiotic for oral & parenteral administration. Cefuroxime is active against a wide range of gram-positive & gram-negative bacteria including Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Neisseria spp, Haemophilus influenzae and many common gram- negative hospital pathogenes such as Escherichia coli, Klebsiella spp., Proteus mirabilis. Axim has noteworthy activity against beta-lactamase producing strains of Haemophilus influenzae and Neisseria gonorrhoeae, which are resistant to ampicillin and penicillin respectively.
1. Upper and lower respiratory tract infections, such as acute and chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, sinusitis, otitis media, tonsillitis & pharyngitis.
2. Skin & soft tissue structure infections such as peritonitis, wound infections and impetigo.
3. Urinary tract infections such as pyelonephritis and cystitis.
6. Meningitis and early lyme disease.
7. Prophylaxis against infections in abdominal, pelvic, orthopedic, cardiac, pulmonary, oesophageal, & vascular surgery.
Dosage & Administration
Adolescents and adults:
Diarrhoea and rarely antibiotic-associated colitis (CSM has warned both more likely with higher doses), nausea and vomiting, abdominal discomfort, headache.